Friday 10 April 2015

Eating Safe Foods

The World's Health Day was celebrated few days ago. The focus for the year is on Food Safety - The Global View.

As we all know, food is very essential in our lives. What you eat constitutes 80% of your Health. Don't quote me.

It is estimated that more than 2million people die as a result of contaminated food and water.

So, there is the need to watch what we eat. 

Eating the right food at the right time doesn't mean you should spend excessively, but it has to do with the "content" of your food; how it is prepared, the quantity etc.

I had a chat with a Professor of Epidemiology recently and he revealed to me various factors that get food contaminated.

Improper Transportation
Improper Storage
How it is displayed etc.

I then went further to ask him that what are the foods to be avoided?

He smiled and said All foods are meant to be eaten, but you should take note of these ones, for your health.

Food that is not well processed.
Food that is not clean.
Food that is not well cooked.
Food not well displayed, this is the type that we see at public places.
Lastly, expired foods.

I'll stress more on Expired food. 90% of Nigerians don't bother to check the expiry date of foods they buy (don't quote me still). I happen to be one of the victims. I only check the expiry date when the food tastes unusual in my mouth.
We should always endeavour to check before eating.

So that's it. Eat safe foods and stay healthy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment